Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Is it okay if I...

This morning after my shower, I left Zoe playing happily with bath toys in the bathroom while I went to get dressed. A few minutes later, she came running into our bedroom saying, "Mama, is it okay if I keep playing with the thing I'm playing with?" I responded with, "What are you playing with?" and she said, "The toilet bowl brush." Yuck! We stopped that activity immediately and washed hands, but the reason that I am sharing this story is because it exemplifies a trait that seems unique to Zoe among her other toddler peers. Rather than just doing something that seems questionable, Zoe usually asks if it is okay first (in the toilet brush incident, she began the activity and then thought to ask, but typically she asks before she does something). Another example of this is that at playgroup last week, another mom told me that Zoe found a pretzel on the floor and asked if it was okay for her to eat it - most toddlers would have just gobbled it down without thinking twice. She is a very conscientious little girl!

No comments: