Monday, June 15, 2009

Uppie Yaya Mama and other linguistic treats...


As Zoe learns to say more and more things, she is inventing some cute phrases such as, "Uppie Yaya Mama!" which is Zoe speak for, "pick me up please, Mama." You can hear her saying it in this video. This particular phrase is perhaps on it's way out, because just recently she said, "I want uppie!" which is the first time she's used the first person that we know of. Another Zoeism that's worth recording is, "Dada water the dishes!" which is her way of describing what Lester is doing when he carries the bucket down to the brook to gather water to wash dishes when we are at our cabin. Just this week, she has begun conjugating verbs. Instead of asking, "where did the Dada go?" she now says, "where is Dada going?" It amazes us to observe her process of learning to speak English.

I am still interested in teaching her to speak French, but my tired brain hasn't been able to manage to speak in a foreign language very often, so I am relying mostly on singing French songs to her and reading her the French books that we have. So far the only French words I've heard her speak are "oiseau" and "au revoir", however she also understands the names for most of the body parts in French.

This phase of language blossoming is absolutely delightful to watch, and Lester and I regularly find ourselves laughing together at the incredible learning that is unfolding before our eyes.

No comments: